The Gateway & Resource For Migrants & People Working With Them
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Gateway & Resource For Migrants & People Working With Them

Falkirk Areas First Point of Call Re Migrant Issues & Information

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Restaurateur warns of illegal workers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Restaurateur warns of illegal workers Empty
PostSubject: Restaurateur warns of illegal workers   Restaurateur warns of illegal workers EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 6:36 am

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 15 January 2009
By ALAN McEWEN
A RESTAURATEUR who was fined £10,000 for employing two illegal workers today warned other businesses not to repeat his mistake.

Matin Khan, who owns the Itihaas Bangladeshi and Indian Restaurant in Dalkeith, said he took on the workers for a fortnight's trial and asked them for their paperwork.

He said the men, from Bangladesh, handed over copies of letters from the Home OADVERTISEMENTffice explaining that their applications to remain in the UK were being processed.

But staff from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) visited the Eskbank Road restaurant on April 12 last year after receiving a tip-off that illegal workers were being employed. Immigration officers checked the documentation of all the employees and found that the pair were working illegally.

Mr Khan said he wrongly assumed the Home Office letters meant the pair could work straight away, and he was assured he would receive copies of their passports and other relevant documentation at the end of the trial period.

The 38-year-old, who runs the family business, was given the fine for failing to carry out the correct right-to-work checks.

The UKBA said steps were being taken to have the two men removed from the UK.

The Midlothian businessman said he had been struggling to find appropriate staff to work at the restaurant when the two men applied for jobs in his kitchen.

He said: "They showed me documents which said their papers were being processed. I thought they could work while this was being done, but I was wrong. It was an honest mistake.

"I would advise other business people to be very careful of bogus people looking for jobs. In particular, it's very difficult to find staff for an Indian restaurant. I'm still looking. People turn up with fake passports and documents. You have to watch out."

Mr Khan did not try to refute the allegation of employing illegal workers and said he would not appeal the fine.

The UKBA can levy a civil penalty of up to £10,000 per illegal worker for not making the correct right-to-work checks.

Mr Khan, who opened the restaurant in December 2007, added: "This is a lot of money for me to lose, especially in this economic situation, but my customers and friends have been very supportive.

"I cooperated fully with the authorities."

Phil Taylor, Regional Director of the UK Border Agency in Scotland and Northern Ireland said: "We will not tolerate illegal working, which threatens to damage our communities. The UK Border Agency works with employers so they understand the rules, but they have a responsibility to carry out the right checks before they employ migrant workers."
Back to top Go down
https://icf-falkirk.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1